Wednesday 29 May 2013

Random Reasons to Love London #10

Last night, I was sitting at home, relaxing, when I suddenly became aware of someone blasting out the June Carter/Johnny Cash classic, Ring of Fire, somewhere out on the street below. I leaned out my window to see what was going on and discovered it was coming from none other than a London Fire Brigade fire engine driving up the road!

Image source

It wasn't my chaps but when I just looked up the latest information on what's going on with the fire stations closure threat, I noticed that there was a public meeting going on last night at Islington Town Hall... and the truck was heading in that direction, just shortly before the meeting was scheduled to start! I reckon it was them blasting it out as a protest song. How awesome are our firemen!? 

I'm just disappointed that I missed the meeting. Well, there's still time to comment on the consultation and write disgruntled letters to our buffoon of a mayor. If you love our firemen too (and how could you not after this episode?), you can find out more about the closures and how you can comment here.




2 comments:

  1. That is definitely a humourous, creative way to get to a protest - and be noticed, thereby calling attention to and probably inspiring sympathy for, the cause.
    I attempted to get to the mayor's email address but was unsuccessful, so will try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for trying to add your support for the firemen! I hope you managed to get to mayor's address... I'm still writing my response to the draft plan - still got a couple of days left...!

      Delete