Saturday 14 September 2013

Love Letter from... Chicago!



Brrr. Autumn seems to have arrived here in London. How strange to think that, less than two weeks ago, I was here:


Oak Street Beach in Chicago, on the shores of Lake Michigan, drying in the sun after a morning dip. Check out the hair - they don't call this The Windy City for nothing.

I absolutely fell in love with Chicago in the few short days I was there. I ended up going as I was in the States for a friend's wedding in Boston and I've wanted to go to Chicago for some time now. I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't live up to my hopes but it surpassed them. It had a perfect city feel with a fascinating mix of architecture, a great buzz, a beautiful location on the lake, green spaces, wide streets, and such friendly people. It did really feel like 'my kind of town', in the words of Frank Sinatra. Like all my favourite cities, it didn't feel frozen in some past period, nor completely new. You could feel and see the history but it felt like it is still alive and changing, still exciting and full of energy. As an architecture geek, I particularly loved all the new buildings butting up against the old. (And I highly recommend the architectural boat tour, run by the Chicago Architectural Foundation, for a great run down of it all.)

Here's just a few shots from my wanderings... There's quite a few here, and yet it's still only a small selection from the many taken...

Bam! Architectural amazingness overload!

The Wrigley Building! (Frank Sinatra sings about this...)










Down at the beach in the evening, I was amused watching the cops, watching the waves 


I spent most of my time in the centre, which is where I was staying, but also managed to get out to Wicker Park, which is one of the inner suburbs of the city. I browsed some of the various vintage/thrift stores there, but wasn't really in the buying mood. I did snap some more pictures along the main street though.

'Don't fret': You're in Chicago, life's good here!




So that's my glimpse of Chicago. I did absolutely love it and didn't have nearly as much time as I would have liked there (only two full days, three nights). However, now I know that it's there and how amazing it is, I can always plan to go back one day, to see all the many places and things I missed this time around. Hopefully next time I will be able to take The Cat as well, as he wasn't able to make it this time (despite wanting to) and had to endure my excited telephone calls and messages as I explored and fell head over heels...

God bless you, Chicago, you beautiful city!

10 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to visit Chicago. It is definitely high on my list. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And I can definitely recommend it... if that wasn't obvious enough from my post!

      Delete
  2. Great to hear and see what a wonderful time you had :) These are wonderful photos too - you really do have "an eye" and a knack for capturing beauty and "moments" of all kinds. The subway tiles with name and skyline are a great introduction! I'm glad you commented on your hair in the beach photo - I thought it looked like it had risen in sympathy with the high-rise buildings behind you. The next photo is definitely a great &tight collection of architecture. I can imagine you squealing, even. Love the sudden sweep of the rail lines as they go under the bridge in the 6th photo. Your views of fire escapes are great (clever "under" view). I would have enjoyed watching the police watching the waves too - I'm pleased you weren't intimidated out of capturing the scene on film. Is one of them taking a photo of the waves? :) And I'm pleased you found the weather-beaten water tank. I do enjoy water-tanks. Good on you for getting to Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your enthused comment - and I'm glad that the photos gave you so much pleasure! I probably did squeal... or not quite, but I did grin from ear to ear and then had to call The Cat (from a rocking chair - yes, a rocking chair - near the river) so that I could gush to someone! I'm happy exploring places on my own but sometimes it's just too wonderful and you have to share!

      Delete
    2. A river rocking chair?! Brilliant. There used to be a bentwood rocking chair by a narrow river on the edge of our small town. It starred in a few of my photos. Unfortunately it was a little too rotted in the seat for me to be able to rock in it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It really IS stunning - glad you can tell something of that from my pictures. I tell you, it's quite hard capturing buildings of such height!

      Delete
  4. That looks fantastic! I'd love to go there one day, and you make it look and sound even more tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely put it on your list - it's an impossible city not to love!

      Delete
  5. The architectural tour in Chicago is one of my favorite things to take visitors on and Big Star tacos are to die for! Glad you had fun in Chicago!
    "Chicago IT"

    ReplyDelete