Saturday 21 December 2013

Shortest Day


The shortest day of the year, the winter solstice, the first day of winter... 

However you look at it, the day has a wonderfully cozy feel to it, aided this year by the rain that's been falling all day here in London. I went out with my umbrella for a wee walk, which took me up to Angel in the quickly fading daylight hours. 

While I was there, I snapped some pictures of the Christmas lights, which are simply bursts of small lights shimmering up in the bare, wintery branches of the trees. Islington have had the same decorations up for the past three Christmases at least, and I just love them. They are so simple and pretty, and I rather approve of the fact that they've found a good thing and stuck with it. 


2 comments:

  1. Ooh yes! I remember being enchanted by their Christmas lights in 2011. You have captured them beautifully. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I walked past them again when it was completely dark the other day and wanted to snap them again. Though here you can see the branches of the trees, thanks to the waning light rather than pitch black.

      Delete