Sunday 8 April 2012

Happy Easter

I've got my new-to-me Easter dress on today!  I'm sure you're all familiar with Easter bonnets?  Well, that tradition is actually a remnant of a centuries old tradition of having a whole new outfit for Easter.  If you couldn't afford that, it might just be a new hat, or even a spruced up old one.  The idea behind it is the same as much of the Easter symbolism we are familiar with (eggs, bunnies, flowers, etc), all representing new life and re-birth.

Dress and clutch: Beyond Retro
Cardigan: Uniqlo
Shoes: Jones Bootmaker

Last year I got myself an Easter dress and I thought I'd do the same again this year, as I find it a lovely concept.  I've not bought anything new for ages either, so it does actually feel quite special.  I bought the dress weeks ago and put it aside to wait for Easter, along with the chocolate eggs and hot cross buns for Good Friday.


I would usually go for a completely colourful dress for Easter but I thought this one was so cute and the tulips were in keeping with the spring and re-birth theme.  It's pretty special too, as these flowers on the bodice aren't just any flowers, these are appliqued flowers!

Appliqued tulips with embroidered stems!  Super-zoomed on the computer as I forgot to
take a close-up when I was outside in the quasi-okay light.  Apologies for the fuzziness.





Real life tulips

Someone found a nice bit of food!  I saw this little chap while passing through
Postman's Park on the way home from church.

Happy Easter, everyone!  Hope you have a lovely day even if your weather, like ours here in London, isn't exactly spring-like.

Christ is risen!

21 comments:

  1. What a terrifically pretty, sweetly cheerful Easter dress. How can you not be drawn to a frock adorned with tulips?

    Thank you very much for your lovely blog comments this morning, dear gal. I really appreciate them and am sending countless happy Easter wishes your way.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! They're such bold and wonderful flowers!

      Delete
  2. that is a very pretty dress
    and you look so sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosette. It's hard not to look sweet in such a girly, pretty dress!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful dress, and your hair is gorgeous. Happy Easter, that bird is magnificent! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you! Was in a rush this morning so was just a wash and blow dry job... which can sometimes end in an 80s-perm-like disaster but actually worked okay today! And the bird is lovely, isn't he? I thought he was going to fly off when I crouched down to snap him but he was very cooperative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress is gorgeous, I'm in love with its floral print <3
    http://cupcakesandtreacle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lidiya - I feel in love with the print too as soon as I saw it!

      Delete
    2. Oops, I mean I *fell* in love with the print!

      Delete
  6. Everything is wonderful!
    Happy Easter!

    Follow me back:
    http://www.iddavanmunster.blogspot.com/

    With love,
    Idda van Munster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Idda! I'm coming over to check out your blog right now x

      Delete
  7. Hold up... I recognise that dress?? If I don't then it definitely has a twin in Beyond Retro Soho. I remember thinking how beautiful and unusual it was :) You look so pretty in and it's such a perfect Easter dress. I love Mr Birdie too. I hope you have had a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! You got me! I was doing some work at the RIBA library on Portland Place a couple of weeks ago so decided to take a wander down to Soho when I was done. I looked around when I got in there to see if you were in but sadly no. One day, I will time it right! x

      Delete
  8. beautiful dress and great photos, I especially love the last!
    -Heather Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great new tradition and you've chosen a really lovely dress it looks wonderful paired with your blue cardy and bag!

    Ps You won my little give away! If you send me an email (wendybayford@gmail.com) with your address I will get it in the post to you asap:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy - I wanted a bright outfit and I thought the blue would help matters along.

      And thank you so much for the give away! I'm so excited and happy about that - it's my first ever blog giveaway win! x

      Delete
  10. That dress looks so lovely on you!! Beautiful photos and I absolutely love tulips!! Looks like you had a lovely Easter and I hope the thesis is going really well! I keep thinking that you changed the header photo of your blog....might be wrong but it is an interesting photo. Is it a place of historical significance?
    I've added your blog to my blog roll so I can keep up with your new posts! :)
    May x
    walkinginmay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, May! I did indeed change the header of my blog - I just had a standard template and felt that was a bit boring. I'm considering a re-design and more personalisation once I've got my thesis out of the way but for the moment, it's my pigeon picture! It's just some Victorian, Peabody buildings (i.e. the Victorian version of a council estate!) near where I live.
      Glad you've added me to your blog roll! I still have to post about the award you gave me but I find it so hard thinking of seven random and interesting facts!

      Delete
  11. Oh I LOVE the dress. It's perfect! Unusual & distinctive. The blue is pretty too - and the red shoes with black tights. Yum! What a beautiful backdrop of yellow flowers. Do you know what they are? The bird on the mossy headstone is wonderful too. What an obliging bird! He even turned his head for his "better side" perhaps. What is the stone he is on? For Easter, I must also reply "He is risen, indeed".

    ReplyDelete