Tuesday 24 April 2012

In three days...

My thesis is due in three days...

Once it's handed in, I'm actually, believe it or not, going to keep reading about bishops' palaces, the topic of my thesis.  Incredibly, I'm still finding them interesting and want to know more and more.  So, I'm going to return to books I've strategically dipped into and take time to enjoy them cover to cover.



But, this time, it might be in the bath or curled up in bed, instead of with paper and pen or computer at hand for note-taking.  That way I can fully appreciate the wonderful early twentieth-century prose, such as this dramatic snippet:

"... in 1640 the Long Parliament fixed its fascinating gaze on the unfortunate bishop and so paralyzed him with fears of imprisonment and confiscation that he withered up and died with little or no sickness."

They just don't write 'em like they used to, do they?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! The really is the writer enjoying the task. Wonderful! Well, not for the dear bishop, of course. And the books themselves look so lovely to be able to hold. It's a blessing that you haven't been put off something by working on it, but have had your imagination & interest warmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's just shows that I picked the right topic.

      Delete