Saturday 14 July 2012

Merveilleuse Quatorze Juillet

Happy Bastille Day, dear readers!

I actually have a lazy, indoor day planned today but thought I would share with you my outfit I wore to an event a couple of years ago. Prepare yourself... (for lots of words and some philosophy)


Not content with cliches (stripy shirts, berets and baguettes, I'm looking at you), my friend and I went for semi-political, surrealist-inspired outfits. I was dressed as a "merveilleuse", one of the members of the aristocracy or nouveau riche who reacted against seeing hundreds of their kind beheaded in the French Revolution by becoming all the more extravagant. In addition to sticking two fingers up at the Revolutionaries, I suppose it was similar to the hedonism and devil-may-care attitude of wartime, when you know you could be next so you may as well party hard until you meet your fate.

The merveilleuses favoured an "a la Grecque" dress style, like Greek goddesses with simple, flowing white dresses and Empire lines, often with their hair in a loose, natural style. They would sometimes wear a red choker to symbolise their solidarity with those that had been beheaded, or have their hair cut very short, in reference to hair being hacked off before someone went to the guillotine. They were aristocratic punks, basically, dressing in a way that intentionally riled the system and expressed their discontent - but the system that was coming in, rather than the established one.

(Image source)

My only problem was that, when I got the outfit together, I felt like I was perhaps doing the "a la Grecque" thing too well, and just kind of looked like I was dressed up as a Greek goddess and had got my national days confused... So, to counteract that, I got some lipstick and wrote across my chest: 



... which fans of surrealist art may pick up as being a reference to Magritte:

Rene Magritte 'LaTrahison des Images', 1929 (Image source)

Of course, put very simply, Magritte's point was that the image you see before you may appear to be a pipe but is, in reality, only a representation of the object; hence, "this is not a pipe". So, in using it in a costume, the same question was being posed. Yes, I am dressed as a merveilleuse so you could say I was one, but I am really just dressed up so I am merely a representation. Also, it made a question of whether I was an anti-monarchist or a pro-monarchist. Is the statement about the fact that I am in costume or is it saying that I don't agree with the merveilleuses?

Finally, the "R" was left out of "merveilleuse" because they often left this letter out in referring to themselves, as a statement against the Revolution. Aware that it might just look like a spelling mistake if I left it out, I put the dash in there... which just added an extra layer of meaning as it became an allusion to Hang Man, the game where you come closer and closer to execution (albeit of a different kind) with each incorrect guess of a letter. The game puts much more significance on single letters than is normal, like the significance placed on "R" as the first letter of the Revolution.




Are you sufficiently reeling from the explanation of my outfit yet? This was all encouraged and nurtured by my amazing friend, who is very knowledgeable on philosophy and psychology. She is also a big fan of French Rococo, so had an amazing outfit of pastels and bouffant, but wearing a Sex Pistols "God Save the Queen" t-shirt. So, her outfit, like mine, became an enigma - she was basically dressed in the aristocratic style of the Revolutionary period, but it was deconstructed and punked up. The statement on her t-shirt appeared, at surface level, to support the monarchy but, as a Sex Pistols t-shirt, may have equally been ironic.

(Image source)

Although I'm now feeling tempted to go out and buy some La Duree macarons and visit the Wallace Collection in celebration of the day, I'm going to stick to my plan of visiting my local French cafe and watching The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec tonight (thanks, Hannah, for making me think of that idea!).

10 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, I love the idea of this, and you have the most beautiful smile. I nearly studied philsophy good job I didn't really, I am a daydreamer as it is. Enjoy the film!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you, to your first two comments. I have a friend who is doing a PhD is philosophy - it's interesting to dabble in but I don't think my brain could hold up to it either. I'll just use it in costuming instead!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, you put way more thought into that costume than I ever would have :) I think it must have been a lot of fun to have it have so many levels of meaning... like putting one over on the people who see you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! That's exactly how we felt. The event we were at turned out to be a pretty disappointing thing with some crepe stalls and wine bars, and not many people dressed up. We knew that no-one got our costumes but we were nevertheless pleased at all the thought we had put into them.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for all those explanations. I am French but I never heard about the "merveilleuse" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed reading it and that you learnt something new! I'd never heard of the merveilleuses either, but my friend is very keen on the whole Revolution period and has read lots about it. The male equivalent were apparently the "incroyables".

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful and clever costume! So thoughtful, plus you look amazing! ;) I had heard about the red ribbon being worn but I didn't realise they went full out 'Greek goddess'. So cool. Hope you had a fun Bastille day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely lady! I'm impressed that you knew about the red ribbons. I think my friend who first mentioned the merveilleuses to me was the same actually - she told me about the red ribbons but that's all she knew.

      I bought cheese and wine to take home with me after sitting in my French cafe... there's not much that beats cheese and wine so, yes, I did have a good Bastille Day, thank you! x

      Delete
  6. That is all so interesting, thank you! I love the way your pretty outfit came together too.

    ReplyDelete