Wednesday 26 December 2012

Christmas Day and After


All dressed up for Christmas Day: white crocheted dress made by my wonderful grandmother for my birthday this year, red tights from M&S or similar such place, patent leather and gold t-bar shoes given to me by a friend, and a black and gold ribbon in my hair.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Mine was lovely and very relaxed, begun at church with the midnight candlelight service, followed by lovely presents opened upon waking up in the morning, phone calls to loved ones, and tasty food consumed in good company.

Today, a reinvigorating bicycle ride took me to Regent's Park for a stroll. I love going for a walk on Boxing Day - it's always such a relaxed and friendly atmosphere as everyone has gone into slow motion after Christmas Day feasting and napping.



Boxing Day aside, I just love Regent's Park in winter. It always feels wonderfully Victorian to me at this time of year. I especially enjoy it on the bitterest of days, when you have to walk briskly to keep out the cold and you can feel the redness growing in your cheeks. Or when it's misty and atmospheric and you truly expect to hear the clip-clop of horse hooves behind you or to pass mysterious men in capes and top hats. Even on relatively mild days like today, the season brings a distinct calm, stillness and quiet to the park, which feels like stepping back into another time...







12 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas lovely lady, the dress looks fabulous on you. Regents Park looks so beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a timelessly elegant, stately Park. There's no way I could resist taking snaps in such a place either (Canada really, really needs more parks like that!).

    Your Christmas outfit is marvelous! You look pretty and festive - the dark red tights are especially wonderful touch.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky in London with all our parks and green spaces - some formal, some wild, always very explorable and enjoyable!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely Christmas outfit! I was sporting the 1950s housewife look in a Banana Republic Mad Men frock and a floral pinny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, like the sound of your outfit. Will be hoping to see some pictures on your blog...

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your kind comment, it warmed my heart :)) hope you are enjoying Christmas holidays, wish you all the best in the coming year,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And thanks to you for the well wishes for the season x

      Delete
  5. Yes, Regent's Park looks like the perfect spot for a Boxing Day stroll. Yay! I think that chap is in a flat cap in last photo. Next best thing to a bowler! Love your outfit. What a clever Grandma! Is that the "To Sir With Love" dress you pined for in an earlier post? I see a vintage poster for Regent's Park in my exciting 2013 "Underground" diary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his hat particularly made sure I included that particular photo! And it is the To Sir With Love dress I wrote about previously. More to come on that!

      Delete
  6. Regent's park looks so nice and crisp! I was working on boxing day (joy!) but this certainly looks much nicer : )
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, working on Boxing Day?! Well, hopefully you can make up for it soon with a bonus day off!

      Delete