Saturday 29 December 2012

New Year's Barbie Doll

Now, unlike many of my readers, I don't ever tend to shop for clothes online. I think I can recall only one time that I bought an item of clothing online, and that was because I was desperately looking for a green dress suit for my Birds costume last year and I thought my chances of finding something so particular in the real world was very, very slim.

However, I am on the Beyond Retro emailing list and I generally tend to have a quick, idle browse of their online shop whenever an email comes in. You never know. Today, I came across this amazing item:

1960s peachy pink dress at Beyond Retro

Oh. My. Goodness. It's literally like something Barbie would wear. Something classic Barbie would wear. At first I had in my head the chiffon and sparkles of Day-to-Night Barbie's evening outfit:

Day-to-Night Barbie (Image source)

But then, in looking for images of Day-to-Night Barbie, I came across pictures of Peaches 'n' Cream Barbie, another one from my personal childhood collection. With her peachy, fluffy stole, you just need to change her ballgown-length skirt to a mini and that dress is her outfit:

Peaches 'n' Cream Barbie (Image source)

I can't deny that the dress had me very, very tempted... Especially with New Year's Eve but days away. However, even if I'd ordered it today, it wouldn't have made it in time for that. Besides, I think it might be a tad too small for me. And it's not my colour at all...

Still, the temptation of being able to transform into one of my childhood Barbies by slipping on this dress leaves me unable to put it completely from my mind. I'm still toying with the idea of ordering it up, trying it on, and taking advantage of the returns policy if it ends up being completely wrong. Naturally, the Cat thinks I'm completely mad. 'Why would you want to be dressed like Barbie?', he asks. Pfft, what do boys know?

Anyway, let's just pretend for a moment that I do have that dress, it fits perfectly, and I have lots of spare cash to turn it into a complete Barbie doll New Year's Eve outfit:

Diamond necklace by Harry Winston, found here;
Jimmy Choo clutch and peep-toe shoes, found here and here

Perfect! There's my dream New Year's outfit sorted.

Now I just have to think about what I'm actually going to wear in reality... But really, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's not like I needed that dress because I was short on items or anything. In fact, I have an overabundance of party-appropriate dresses in my wardrobe vying for a night out on the town.

4 comments:

  1. Hah hah! What fun to play with Barbie ideas again. I'm thinking that you maybe have more party-appropriate dresses than "daily" dresses. Just cos I find that party dresses kind of call to me. Generally more dramatic, I guess. I hope that you did enjoy whatever you wore and whatever you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that I have more party dresses than daily dresses, but I definitely have a healthy share! And the reason I don't have more is because I have recently become more strict with myself - after all, I have more days in a week in which I need to wear non-party dresses (sadly!). Thanks for your New Year's wishes - hope you had a lovely evening too x

      Delete
  2. You should order it anyway! Will look good hung up on your wall aha. Hope you had a wonderful New Year's Eve! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good point! Except I think it's the kind of dress that particularly wants to be filled with curves, not hanging off a coat hanger! Hope you had a fab New Year's Eve too xx

    ReplyDelete