Sunday 17 July 2011

Churchill War Rooms Late Opening

Now, this post would have been a report on the Chap Olympiad which took place yesterday, had I not dropped my camera in a jug of Pimms during said Olympiad.  Unfortunately, my camera didn't survive.  My memory card should hopefully be okay so I should have the few pictures of the event I did manage to take before the alcohol-based drowning, but my outfit pictures were taken on an emergency disposable camera.  So I think that post will now wait until I finish my film, develop it and scan in any shots that turned out decently...  How old school.

But I thought I'd just drop by to alert any Londoners to the upcoming late-night opening of the Churchill War Rooms on Friday, 12th August.

The map room at the War Rooms (source: CWR website)

Very sadly, I'm unable to attend as I have prior commitments but hopefully someone else out there in blogland might be able to attend and I can live vicariously through them.

It's an American-themed night to celebrate the 70th anniversary of our "special relationship" with the States, and there will be dancing and drinking and history - three things which, combined, should make for a very fine evening.  I'm terribly sad I have to miss it but there will always be another time, I suppose...  And perhaps next time it will be purely British, which (let's face it) will be more my cup of tea!

8 comments:

  1. Sorry about your camera, though you killed it quite in style. :-) Wow, you were at the Chap Olympiads, must have been hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you dropped it in a very British drink! Wish I could attend, alas to faraway x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, although I lost my camera, I walked away with an amusing story. It could have been a much duller, unstylish death. Plus I'd been thinking about getting a better camera anyway, so now I have a reason! I was just sad to lose it halfway through such a brilliant event - I wanted to take so many more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A truly "carry on" spirit to your camera's untimely demise :) I'm not sure how "old school" it is to scan photos onto your computer ;) I'm hanging in there with my old SLR camera. I'm curious about the Chad Olymics now! Pity you can't get to Churchill's room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, sorry. Hadn't read your previous blog entry in which you mentioned the Chap Olympics. How amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same thought about scanning in the photos being rather a modern concept rather than old school, but the rest of it...

    It is quite exciting thinking about what surprises the roll of film will have in store for me when I develop it. Unfortunately though, being a disposable camera, the pictures are very unlikely to be of the same high quality as your SLR pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do have a great "eye" for compositon though, even if the picture printing etc is not of such quality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naw, thanks! Let's hope I've managed okay with the digital. It's not being able to zoom that's the real struggle!

    ReplyDelete