Sunday 3 June 2012

A Decade a Day to the Jubilee: Part 3

The third and final part to the Decade a Day countdown to the Jubilee... I found these two days - the '90s and the '00s - the most challenging, I must say. Both because I don't have much belonging to either decade in my wardrobe, and because it's hard to turn something from such recent times into a distinct outfit. I ended up rather going with my own personal version and experience of these periods... Oh, and I was at work neither day so didn't have anyone to act out female emancipation with, unfortunately.

Firstly, Friday, the 1990s. I was a teenage Brit Popper. As I said in my last post, I no longer have my Doc Martens, which would have really made the outfit. But I did have my Ben Sherman blazer and a little straight denim skirt.

1990s. Girls can totally catch buses all on their own these days.

 And then, Saturday, the 2000s. For me, this was The Strokes, the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, and other such indie rock. So I tried for my best rock chic look. Horizontal stripes, pointy shoes, white belt, red lipstick... I don't own skinny jeans because they just don't work on my thighs ('skinny' becomes somewhat ironic) so I just went with these as the closest thing.

2000s. Girls taking the stage and music world by storm.

So, that's it. Six glorious decades of Her Majesty's reign in sartorial format. Hope you've all had a smashing weekend, and that those of my readers in the UK enjoy the rest of the four-day weekend!

9 comments:

  1. You are rocking the indie look my dear! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done just a marvelous job with each decade! Too bad there aren't even more (beyond the 2010s) to keep this going (round two of the same decades? :) ).

    Thank you very much for your sweetly lovely comment on my vintage rainbow outfit, dear gal, I really appreciate it and hope your week is off to a gorgeous start.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! To be honest, it was fun but quite exhausting so it was something of a relief to be able to slip back into whatever felt right on Sunday, rather than ensuring I fit into a chronological decade! But it would be fun to try it again some time... Perhaps from an earlier start date?

      Delete
  3. Wonderful! Thank you for such unique entertainment. I've really looked forward to your interpretations. I've plenty of Docs I could've lent you - had I been in the same country! I think your 2000s look has an 80s look about it too. Interesting. That could be a fashion comment in itself. You can do soooo many styles with your hair! I'm impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought about you and your Docs! A friend I met on '00s day also commented that it was rather '80s. That was one of the difficulties and interesting things about the exercise, as you realised how much different decades had in common with others but tried to subtly distinguish between them!

      Delete
  4. I think you did both the decades brilliantly. I love 'Indie' Miss Marie. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Thank you! I still have a fair bit of wardrobe so maybe should pull it out from time to time to shake things up.

      Delete
  5. Oh you did a fabulous job with possibly the two most difficult to sartorially define eras, I wouldn't have known where to start! I completely agree with the others that you totally rock the Indie Chick look! Fab! x

    ReplyDelete